I have been a fan of author Liz Curtis Higgs’ books since 2003, when I read her first novel set in Scotland – Thorn in My Heart. Each book has been a joy to read – and Mine is the Night was certainly no exception!
Set in the mid-1700’s against the lush backdrop of the Scottish Lowlands, Mine is the Night is the continuing story of Elisabeth Kerr and her mother-in-law Marjory: two widows who have bonded together as they seek to find their place in the world. This book is a sequel to Here Burns My Candle, which I would recommend reading as well in order to fully understand the characters and their motivations!
Based on the Biblical story of Ruth and Naomi, Mine is the Night is a redemptive story that teaches the characters (and the readers) that God is faithful and will provide for his own. Though Elisabeth and Marjory face what seem like endless trials, they learn to trust in Him and are amazed at the results.
I was intrigued by the vivid descriptions of the Scottish landscape. After I finished reading the book, I had to look up photos of the “Eildon Hills” – the way they were described made me curious enough to research them!
Liz Curtis Higgs has a delightful writing style. I was immediately drawn into the story and was unable to stop reading – I even kept the book with me while feeding my newborn in the middle of the night! The story is woven together beautifully and made me want to engage in a deep study of the book of Ruth.
Overall, I would highly recommend Mine is the Night. I look forward to journeying to Scotland with Ms. Higgs again – whether in a new story or the next time I pick up this title!
You can purchase Mine is the Night from WaterBrook or from Amazon!
Additionally, head to WaterBrook’s Livestream Channel next Tuesday, April 5 at 1:00 PM CST for a free live video event with author Liz Curtis Higgs!
Please rate my review!
Thank you to WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for providing the book for this review! I received no other compensation and all views expressed are my own.
Want to keep up with all of the free stuff? Subscribe now!

No comments:
Post a Comment