Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson {Book Review}



The Healer's Apprentice, by Melanie Dickerson, is a young adult historical fiction novel.  Set in the year 1386, readers are taken on a journey with Rose, who is a healer’s apprentice in the town of Hagenheim.  The story loosely follows the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty.  Rose is not a very talented apprentice, but finds herself caring for Lord Hamlin when he is injured.  The two fall in love, but since he is betrothed to the mysterious Lady Salomea, neither can express their feelings.  Rose becomes acquainted with Lord Hamlin's brother Rupert, which adds a bit of a love triangle to the story.

The book has a definite Christian emphasis, which I find refreshing in young adult fiction - though I was not entirely convinced at the climactic ending scene which involves the casting out of demons.  This last part did not seem to entirely fit with the rest of the romantic story and left me a little confused.

I do enjoy reading young adult fiction and this book successfully drew me into the story.  Some points of the plot were predictable, while others seemed a little out of context for the fairy tale - but that is the beauty of fiction and I give points to the author for giving something unexpected!

The Healer's Apprentice is currently available on Amazon for $9.99.

Thanks to Zondervan for providing my review sample.  I received no compensation and all views expressed are my own.




Want to keep up with all of the free stuff?  Subscribe now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved. | Copyright © My City Mommy LLC 2009 All Rights Reserved